The 21st Century Phenomenon
Menu
Archives

GUANTANAMO COMPENSATION SHAM

>

 

Twelve Guantanamo Bay terror suspects could get millions in damages from the Government it emerged on Tuesday 07/06/2010.

The former terror suspects are suing UK spy agencies MI5 and MI6 for up to £500,000 each over claims they colluded in their torture at the USA detention camp. They are said to have “paralyzed” the security services with legal paperwork.

 

PM David Cameron said the men would receive compensation payouts “wherever appropriate”. But fury greeted the decision – on the eve of today’s fifth anniversary of the London 7/7 terror bombings.

 

Ex-Tory shadow security minister Patrick Mercer MP said last night: “It’s wrong the Government has been forced to take this action.”

 

Number 10 officials said they had been left with little choice but to settle with the men – once feared to have been some of the most dangerous terrorists in the world. To defend the claims would have cost the taxpayer tens of millions of pounds – as the cases would have been covered by legal aid.

 

It would also have threatened the release of more secrets, which has already left our relationship with the USA “strained”, the PM revealed.

 

He announced a “judge-led” inquiry will look at the men’s claims. But he said of MI5 and MI6: “Our services are paralyzed by paperwork as they try to defend themselves in lengthy court cases with uncertain rules. “We cannot have their work impeded by these allegations.”

 

The 12 men insist our spooks knew they were being tortured or mistreated but did not do enough to stop it.

 

They include Ethiopian-born Binyam Mohamed, who travelled to Afghanistan, and Birmingham religious bookshop owner Moazzam Begg, alleged by the US to have trained at an Al Qaeda camp. The inquiry, chaired by Appeal Court judge Sir Peter Gibson, will start after the 12 civil cases are settled.

 

Mr Cameron – who said the UK owes the security services “an enormous debt of gratitude” – will this morning lay a wreath in Hyde Park to remember the 52 victims of the 2005 bombings in Londonstan.

Secret Government documents, revealed on Wednesday 07/14/2010, reportedly suggest Tony Blair ordered, already on 08/26/2002, diplomats to prevent the return to Britain of a UK national detained as a terror suspect and later sent to Guantanamo Bay.

The papers, released as part of a court case being brought by former Guantanamo detainees, show it was decided early in 2002 that the transfer of UK nationals to the US military camp in Cuba was “the best way” to meet the Government’s counter-terrorism goals.

And they reveal concern within the Foreign Office that Martin Mubanga’s right to consular access was breached as a result of direct interference from 10 Downing Street and that the Government would be “open to charges of concealed extradition”.

* Related topics – 
****************************

 

Read more ;

Please Share...Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter