10 KILLED IN ISTANBUL SUICIDE BOMBING
Several dead and wounded, on Tuesday 01/12/2016 at about 10:20 local time, after a powerful explosion rocked a central Istanbul Sultanahmet square, Turkish television stations reported. Sultanahmet square in Istanbul is, a major tourist attraction. Turkish police sealed off the square as ambulances rushed to the scene of the explosion.
Sultanahmet square, close to the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia, in a major tourist area of Turkey’s most populous city.
The blast came after a slew of deadly attacks across Turkey in past months that has left Turkey’s largest city on edge.
Turkish authorities have in recent weeks detained several suspected I.S.I.S members with officials saying they were planning attacks in Istanbul.
But Turkey is also waging an all-out assault on the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) which has staged dozens of deadly attacks against members of the security forces in the southeast of the country . Istanbul is the “biggest Kurdish town in the world with over 1.5 Millions Kurds living in the city ”
A Kurdish splinter group, the the Freedom Falcons of Kurdistan (TAK) claimed a mortar attack on Istanbul’s second international airport on 12/23/2015 which killed a female cleaner and damaged several planes. Meanwhile the banned ultra-left Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party-Front (DHKP-C) has also staged a string of usually small-scale attacks in Istanbul over the last months .
According to initial reports at least 10 people, at least 9 of them German tourists, were killed in the explosion and 15 injured, including 6 Norwegians, a German and other foreigners .
Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in a live TV address at 13:00 about the attack. He blamed a suicide bomber of “Syrian-origin” with the attack. Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said later that the bomber was an Islamic State militant but the credibility of the Turkish authorities is insufficient to reach a final conclusion.
Turkish police have detained three Russian nationals suspected of links with Islamic State following the suicide bomb attack in Istanbul, according to the Turkish Doğan news agency.
Police in the Mediterranean city of Antalya also seized documents and CDs during a search of where the suspects were staying, the agency said. It was not immediately clear when the detentions occurred. Russia’s consulate confirmed that three citizens had been detained.
The move came after 65 people were detained on Tuesday 01/12/2016 all over Turkey . According to Interior Minister Efkan Ala, on Wednesday 01/13/2016, only one of those detainees is related directly to the Istanbul bombing..
The suicide bomber was identified as Nabil Fadli (pic) who recently entered Turkey as a Syrian refugee without setting off security alerts, Nabil Fadli, a Syrian national born in Saudi Arabia in 1988, was fingerprinted in Turkey last week while registering as a refugee remaining the Paris Attacks of 11/13/2015.
Related topics :
12/2015 – TURKEY FOILED NEW YEAR EVE’S SUICIDE ATTACKS
12/2015 – THE KURDISH THIRD INTIFADA (UPRISING)
11/2015 – CRACKS IN ANTI-ISIS COALITION, TURKEY DOWNED A RUSSIAN FIGHTER JET
10/2015- SHOOTOUT WITH MILITANTS IN TURKEY LEAVES 9 DEAD
09/2015 – TURKEY TRAPPED IN ITS NEW WAR