ISIS CLAIMED SUICIDE ATTACK THAT KILLED 13 EGYPT’S SINAI POLICE
The Islamic State in Sinai, Ansar Bait al-Maqdis, has claimed responsibility for an attack., on Saturday 03/19/2016, that killed at least 13 policemen in Egypt’s restive Sinai Peninsula. Egypt officials said a mortar attack hit the Safa checkpoint in northern Sinai near the city of El-Arish, Government forces later killed five of the militants who carried out the attack, officials said.
But I.S.I.S claimed a suicide bomber blew up a car with explosives at the checkpoint, which it then raided.
Jihadist militants have killed hundreds of security personnel in Sinai since the military overthrew President Mohammed Morsi in 06/2013.
Witnesses reported hearing a massive explosion and said the city had been sealed off.
In a statement on Twitter, IS said the attack was “part of a series of operations in response to the humiliation and searching of Muslim women at checkpoints”. The group has claimed numerous deadly attacks in the region recently, targeting mainly security forces. Earlier this week, an Egyptian soldier and police officer were killed during two separate attacks in the northern Sinai peninsula. Gunmen affiliated with Wilayat Sinai (ISIS Sinai Province ) shot and killed the officer outside his home in el-Arish. A soldier was also killed by a sniper in Sheikh Zuweid,which is not far from el-Arish.
It has also said it was responsible for the bombing of a Russian airliner over Sinai, in 10/2015, that killed all 224 people on board.
01/2016 – 14 KILLED IN EGYPT’S TERROR ATTACKS
01/2016- ATTACKS ON TOURIST LOCATIONS IN EGYPT
12/2015 – 16 KILLED IN CAIRO RESTAURANT BOMBING
11/2015 -4 EGYPTIAN POLICEMEN KILLED IN DRIVE-BY SHOOTING
08/2015 -4 HAMAS, ON THEIR WAY TO IRAN. SNATCHED BY EGYPTIAN FORCES