5 CHARGED IN AUSTRALIA OVER INTENTION TO JOIN JIHAD
Australian police have charged, on Saturday 05/14/2016, 5 men suspected of planning to travel to Syria to join Islamic State via a journey that would start in a small motor boat taking them to Indonesia and the Philippines.
The men, aged between 21 and 31, were charged on Saturday with preparing to enter a foreign country “for the purpose of engaging in hostile activities,” an offense that carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.
Australian Attorney-General George Brandis told reporters on Sunday 05/15/2016 “their intentions to travel to the Middle East to engage in terrorist war fighting were known to the authorities,” and that their passports had earlier been canceled.
The five, who were not named, were arrested on Tuesday 05/10/2016 after towing the seven-meter motor boat almost 3,000 km (1,865 miles) from Melbourne to Cairns in northern Queensland state, police said.
They will appear in court on Monday.
Brandis said that when it became clear to the men they could not leave “in an orthodox way, they remained under surveillance so that if they attempted to leave the country in this very unusual way they would be able to be stopped and they were.”
About 100 people have left Australia for Syria to fight alongside Jihadi organizations .
Related topics ;
05/2016-AUSTRALIAN NEIL PRAKASH – KILLED IN IRAQ
05/2016-PROFILE – MILAD ATAI
12/2015-TEEN & ADULT ARRESTED IN SYDNEY OVER TERROR PLOT
11/2015 – AUSTRALIA AFTER $38 MIL’ ISIS FUNDING
08/2015 – THE NUMBER OF AUSTRALIANS JOINING ISIS DOUBLED