– MUMBAI CARNAGE INVESTIGATION REPORT
On Wednesday 11/26/2008 at about 23:00, a series of coordinated attacks, in the Southern luxury suburb of the Indian city of Mumbai (Bombay), killed at least 195 people and injured 350 more. The horrendous terror attack, naturally, led to a massive investigation in India and abroad. 23 of the dead were Western foreigners, 17 policemen, 1 Indian commando soldiers, 9 terrorist perpetrators and 145 ordinary innocent Indian civilians.
The chain of events, which led to the Mumbai Carnage , as it emerged through the investigation, was as follows:
* In 02/2008 the Indian police arrested in Mumbai the trainer of Faheem Ahmed Ansari as a suspect of providing logistical support to the Mumbai Trains Bombings and of being a Lashkar-e-Toiba operative. Faheem Ahmed Ansari had in his possession layouts drawn up for the Taj Mahal hotel and Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji main railway station, both prime targets of the Mumbai Carnage. He admitted he was handled by Yusuf Muzammil from Muzaffarabad, that he provided Yusuf Muzammil with sketches of different locations in Mumbai and of going through military training at a camp at the Mangla Dam, located between Pakistani Punjab and Pakistan-held Kashmir.
* In 05/2008, according to Ajmal amir Kasab, a 21 year old native of Faridkot in the Punjab
province of Pakistan and the only surviving perpetrator, who was captured near the Chhatrapati Shivaji train station, the preparations for the Mumbai carnage began when he and his fellow terrorists, all ordinary Pakistanis in their 20th, without any special background, gathered at Mangla Dam camp for training. Ajmal Amir Kasab implicated the Indian fugitive – Daoud Ibrahim, as the financier and logistical organizer of the Mumbai Carnage.
All the recruits were trained in marine warfare along with the special course “Daura-e-Shifa” conducted by Lashkar-e-Toiba. Ajmal Amir Kasab identified his associates as Abu Ali, Fahad, Omar, Shoaib, Umer, Abu Akasha Ismail, Abdul Rahman (Bada) and Abdul Rahman (Chhota) – They were motivated by strong anti-Indian and anti-Hindus feelings, hatred toward Jews and Judaism and probably also by resentment to their own new Pakistani civilian and democratic regime, but not necessarily by devotion to Islam (see – Mumbai-attackers).
* In summer 2008 eight of the future Mumbai Carnage perpetrators, including Ajmal Amir Kasab, visited Mumbai as tourists. They rented a room not far from Nariman House, the Jewish ‘Habad’ center in Mumbai and another prime target in the planned attack, in order to learn their objectives (see also the case of – Rahil Abdul-Rehman Sheikh).
* Two weeks before the attack, on 11/12/2008, the terrorists sailed to the Arabian Sea from Karachi with a boat owned by Daoud Ibrahim named Al-Husseini.
* While at sea the hijackers used a Satellite phone and kept in contact with leading figures of Lashkar-e-Toiba in Muzaffarabad; Yusuf Muzammil, the chief Operational coordinator of Lashkar-e-Toiba operations in Indian Kashmir; Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, the Indian commander of Lashkar-e-Toiba’s recruiting and training apparatus, and Zarar Shah, a senior Lashkar-e-Toiba operative. The American electronic and communication intelligence service, NSA (National Security Agency) noticed the unusual conversation between a ship in the middle of the Arabian Sea and Muzaffarabad, in the heartland of Pakistan over 1,200 km away from any sea shore. Soon NSA managed to identify some of the people who used the Satellite phone as senior Lashkar-e-Toiba operative. NSA issued, on 11/18/2008, a terror alert of a possible maritime terror attack on or near Mumbai, India, including the right location of ‘Al-Husseini’.
* On 11/23/2008 the assailants hijacked an Indian fishing boat named ‘Kuber’. The terrorists decapitated four crew members and left the captain alive to navigate the hijacked boat back to Mumbai (the Captain was killed before landing on Mumbai coast on 11/26/2008 night).
* on Wednesday 11/26/2008 at about 23:00, all ten terrorists landed with a rubber speed boat from the ‘Kuber’ at the Gateway to India monument, near the Taj Mahal Hotel. The assailants split to two men squads and scattered toward their targets. The squad that attacked the Leopold restaurant then retreated to the Taj Mahal Hotel to reinforce the other squad operating there. Some of the squads moved from place to place by hijacked or stolen cars.
* The tactic was to move and change position all the time and not enable the Indian military or police to flank them or push them to the corner and in order to create maximum damage and confusion. Therefore the terrorists did not take hostages for bargaining and killed all captured on the spot, since heaving hostages limits severely the maneuverability of the hostage takers and their ability to move from place to place, to change position and to operate as two men squads in huge compounds such as the luxury Hotels.
* Indian Intelligence has proofs that at least two SIM cell phone cards were used in Mumbai during and after the attack to report and update the headquarters of the assault in Muzafarabad, Pakistan (see – Kolkata 12.05.08).
* With Ajmal Amir Kasab Police found also a cell phone. The Indian national television station showed photographs of a phone’s log which showed calls had been placed from this phone to Jalalabad in Pakistan.
The outcome of the Mumbai Carnage investigation clearly established the responsibility of Lashker-e-Toiba, based in Pakistan, in committing the attack. If fact it was the same infrastructure that already executed the Mumbai Trains Bombings, on 07/11/2006, two years earlier and on which Pakistan was already warned.
* Ilyas Kashmiri, Abdur Rehman and Tahawar H. Rana , were charged, on Thursday 01/14/2010, in Chicago, USA, with plotting the 2008 Mumbai Carnage. Abdur Rehman is believed to be living in Pakistan, while Ilyas Kashmiri is said to be living in the Pakistani FATA tribal areas in Waziristan (see – Chicago 01.14.10 )
* Related topics –